When I ‘finished’ my kitchen update a few months ago. There were still a couple of projects that I was holding onto in the back of my mind. But, after all the time I had spent on that one project, I just needed to let it rest for a while – you know like you do with a good steak.
So, after a good rest I decided to move forward with something I had been dreaming about for a while and this is what came out of a little bit of work.
My inspiration came from a Sarah Richardson kitchen. I think I pinned photos of the island in her kitchen several times – they just kept popping up!! I love everything she does! So, when I saw this kitchen island with the rustic wood, I was instantly crushing!! I don’t have as grand of an island as this, in face it’s not even technically an island, but more of a bar. But, I knew that this would be doable. Here’s the before:
Maybe you can see the set-in space there – that piece of ‘wood’ is actually cheap paneling.
So, I gathered together some old fence pickets from a friend, that had the exact rustic look I was going for and went to work (be prepared for LOTS of pics :)).
First up was sanding all the pieces, top bottom, and edges, to prevent as many splinters as possible.
The next step came from my friend Jennifer’s wisdom – paint the background a similar color as the planks – because they are not going to match up perfectly (it’s old wood), and this way the spaces won’t be as noticeable.
I also had to build a frame on the end since that surface was completely flat. I just used 1″ x 1/2″ boards that I had on hand to do that.
Then we went to work cutting our pieces.
This took longer than anything because I really had no idea what I was doing. Ha!!! I knew the look I was going for obviously, so I started in the corner with a triangle and went from there. (sorry for the poor photos, but I was working feverishly one evening wanting to get this done!)
When we got all the pieces cut it was time to attach them. I went with my go-to adhesive for things like this – liquid nails.
And, once again, I used good ‘ole painters tape to hold everything in place until the glue dried. For the most part the pieces were pretty wedged into the frame, but this just made me feel better.
As I was working along to this point I noticed that the fence pickets boards were a little thicker than my frames.
So, I decided to use some trim to make it look a little more cohesive and finished.
I picked out my trim and I painted it with the cabinet color and then attached it with more liquid nails. And, of course, more painters tape to hold everything.
And here is my finished product.
I’m so in love with the results!! It’s not perfect by any means, but that’s the rustic beauty of it. Just the touch the room needed!!
Here’s the before again just to see the difference.
The blessing of this project is that it really only cost me around $30 – the cost of the trim and the liquid nails. Everything else I had or got for free!! Can’t beat that for a little rustic flare!!
Hope you are enjoying your summer!! Off to find my next project :)!
Linking up at Thrifty Decor Chick: July Before and After / Best of The Nest / Tutorials & Tips Link Party / Take-A-Look Tuesday / One Project at a Time / Brag About It Link Party / Hit Me With Your Best Shot / Wow Us Wednesdays / DIY’ers / Work It Wednesday / Create It Thursday / Thrifty Thursday / Fridays Unfolded / Frugal Friday / Remodelaholic Anonymous / Party in Your PJ’s / Link Party Palooza / That DIY Party / Share Your Creativity / Enchanting Inspiration
Don't miss a single post!
Sign up to get frazzled JOY delivered straight to your inbox AND receive a free gift!
*5 simple steps to decluttering any space in your home and a 30 day jump start list!*