Some affiliate links used for your convenience. See disclosures for more details.
Let me just start this post by saying I am not a professional artist by any stretch of the imagination! I know you are never supposed to say things like that as a writer because it discredits yourself and such, but I say that so that you will know that if I can do it, YOU can do it!! So, anyways, now that we have that out of the way. I recently found a piece of art at Hobby Lobby that I loved, and I thought it would be fun to try and recreate. So, I snapped a pic right there in the aisle, to save for one day when I felt artsy. Here was that inspiration piece.
Pretty right?? Last week I decided that it was time to give it a try. I had these two canvases that I had painted years ago when I updated our master bedroom. I was getting kind of tired of them and I knew this new piece would be the perfect addition to something I had in mind for this space.
I purchased some acrylic paint in various shades of blue, and a big bottle of white to cover the previous painting.
Let me tell you, it took forever to cover that gold lettering…like 7 or 8 coats. Ugh. But, I finally got it covered enough that I could proceed to the fun part. I started with the lightest color on the outside and worked my way in to the middle with the darkest colors being in the middle.
Just a simple back and forth brush stroke, varying the height of each ‘stroke’ to get the look I wanted.
The best thing about abstract art is there is no wrong! Once I finished with all the blues, I came back and added some of the lighter blue on top to soften all the lines. Then I added a few brush strokes of white, and then a few brush strokes of gold for a little bit of shimmer.
I love how it turned out!! In fact, I loved it so much, I decided to do another! This time, I turned the canvas the other direction just for a little variation.
After they were complete, I decided to add a little wood frame. I had some of these lattice strips left over from the board and batten in the kids bathroom and they were the perfect size! I cute them all, stained them, and then (believe it or not) I hot glued them to the canvas. Yes, I could have used my brad nailer, but to be honest, I was too lazy to get it out. And, the hot glue worked just fine!
I love the finished look that the frames give!
You’ll have to wait to see where these are going, but I’m so excited that I gave this project a try!!